It’s almost that time again! But what are some ideas for The Elf on the Shelf® this year? For inspiration to create innovative ideas, your Scout Elf needs to look no further than the items you already have in your home! With their active imaginations and enterprising spirit, the Scout Elves know just how to put everyday items to use when creating fun ideas.
Easy Elf on the Shelf® ideas
Consider this Santa's official source of ideas for Scout Elves! Some are silly, crafty or funny DIY, while others are sweet and calm. Before your Scout Elf gets to work recreating any of these ideas for The Elf on the Shelf®, be sure to read these elf ideas safety warnings. Santa wants to make sure everyone stays safe! What are some ideas for your Elf on the Shelf®, you wonder? Enjoy these easy Elf on the Shelf® ideas for the whole family:
Click each picture for full instructions for Scout Elves:
TP Roll Up
- Toilet paper
It looks like your Scout Elves have gotten into the toilet paper and made a fun new racing game! To glide down the stairs, your elf will:
- Squeeze into a full roll of toilet paper.
- Put his or her arms high in the air.
- See how far he or she can roll down the stairs!
- Two wrapping paper tubes
- Christmas tree
Your Scout Elf wanted to find the best spots for the ornaments on the Christmas tree, so he or she will strap on some wrapping paper stilts and started decking the tree! To create their helpful height boosters, your elf will:
- Pick out two tubes of wrapping paper and stand them upright with one of the tubes leaning slightly against the other for balance.
- Carefully place one leg inside of each tube, carefully balancing his or her weight.
- Reach out to touch an ornament that is already hung or balanced on a tree branch.
- Color printer
- Picture frame (optional)
Your Scout Elf will create their own wonderful work of art by:
- Printing and cutting out the picture found here.
- Taping the image to the wall, or framing it and hanging it.
- Stepping back to appreciate the art!
A Little Can-Do
- Canned goods
In the spirit of the holidays, your Scout Elf has decided to round up some canned goods to donate to charity by:
- Making a small can pyramid.
- Sitting atop their creation.
- Leaving a note inspiring you to add more cans to the collection to help those in need this holiday season!
Scout Elf Snuggle Time
- Brown felt
- Espresso mug
- Mini marshmallows
Brrr! Even though Scout Elves love the cold, they never miss a chance to cuddle up with some hot cocoa. To create a cozy spot to relax, your elf will:
- Fill an espresso mug with “hot chocolate,” a.k.a brown felt—they wouldn’t want to spill!
- Top off the mug of cocoa with mini marshmallows.
- Cuddle into the warmest blanket he or she can find. Feel free to join in the relaxation!
- Painter's tape
Scout Elves are always looking for a game to play! It looks like your elf has gotten a round of tic-tac-toe started for you by:
- Attaching painter’s tape to your window.
- Leaving a note asking your family to work together to finish the game that has been started for you!
- Wash cloth
- Tissue box (rectangular)
Sometimes even Scout Elves need a little rest and relaxation! To recoup from his or her long flight from the North Pole, your Scout Elf will:
- Take a tissue and fold it into an elf-sized pillow.
- Get a wash cloth from the closet and use it as a blanket.
- Climb into their tissue box bed for a quick nap before you wake up!
Candy Cane Climb
- Scout Elves at Play® Tools
- Holiday Hook
- Candy Cane Cable
Your Scout Elf is going all the way to the top with a handcrafted sock rope! To make the rope, your elf will:
- Tie socks together, end-to-end, until the rope is long enough to reach from the ceiling to the floor.
- Tie Candy Cane Cable to one side of the rope to be able to easily secure the rope to a stationary ceiling fan blade.
- Make sure that one of the knots in the socks is large enough to throw his or her Holiday Hook around to traverse this impressive creation!
Want more time-saving ideas? Learn more about the Scout Elves at Play® kit.